Monday 19 November 2007

Shelf Life ..

Well.. what a weekend! I was contemplating building an ark yesterday as the rain was relentless.
I hope you have all had a good weekend.. I know that several of you had interesting craft/antique fairs to go to .. I hope that they weren't a wash out and that much fun (and money) was had by all!
I stayed put at my kitchen table churning out badges for my cards and turning my thoughts to Valentine's day. Yes .. I know it sounds crazy when the turkey hasn't even landed yet (??) but in the fickle world of commerce that I live in..(oh I shouldn't knock it as it pays the bills...just) I have to think several months and occasions in advance..
So love is in the air at Cowboys & Custard enterprises and I am sourcing love tokens and ephemera for the next production line.

Short interlude.. muzac playing softly in background.. not enough to annoy I hope........

I have strayed right off the beaten track as I was not intending to write about Luuuuuurve and work...
You know.. an award that I think I really do deserve in one for PROCRASTINATION!
I am here there and everywhere in my mind these days and it's all the bloggings fault! So there!
I am having endless conversations (one-sided) in my mind about this and that and wanting to share these ramblings with you..
but what I really wanted to show you today was the mantelpiece in our living room.
BEFORE


When we first set eyes upon the monstrosity.. that is our mantlepiece... we both silently agreed that "it had to go".
It is a very unusual wooden construction with a slightly Eastern flavour.. Islamic possibly. Well that was 18 months ago and the 'monstrosity' has grown on us and I have found it very useful to display the ever increasing collection of family photos.
It is a beautiful focal point of the room and one day we hope to fire up the grate which has been added since our arrival.
This morning I took all the photos and ornaments down for it's annual dust (!!) and used elbow grease and polish to burnish the wood..
AFTER







I am so looking forward to Christmas now as I have a mantle display in mind which I look forward to sharing with you.

10 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Lovely fireplace with all the photos on! I think I've got to get the old fireplace polish out and give mine a good seeing to! Thanks for your lovely comments just now, that pink ointment your mum had, was it germolene? I can smell it right now, it takes me right back!
Kim x
PS Blogging has made me the world's worst procrastinator

Louise said...

Michele, come over to my blog and pick up yet another award! You should be able to right click on the picture and 'save picture as' a document. Louise x

Louise said...

Hi Michele, great weather over the weekend for doing housework, not even grim can describe what it was like down here, most depressing. I look forward to seeing your 'lurve' cards, I am sure to be tempted into buying one for John, especially one with a badge! Your mantel does look lovely with all your photos and treasures on, and makes the room look very homely indeed. When we had our fireplace put in I intended to put nothing on the shelf and be minimalist, but it didn't last, well you do need somewhere to display your knick knacks don't you. I had a thought, luckily all of your awards are 'virtual' as you certainly couldn't display them above the fireplace! Louise x

Country Cottage Chic said...

It looks super - such a lot of display space which is very important to all lovers of "stuff"!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

What a GORGEOUS mantle! I so wish I had one!!! We only have a woodstove with boring brickwork behind it. You've decorated it so prettily - I can't wait to see it decked out for the holidays!

Threadspider said...

Hi there geographical neighbour. Love your fireplace and your sense of humour. I'll fight you for the procrastinator award!

TheVintageMagpie said...

Oh my, that is gorgeous... any space around the fire on Christmas Eve? I'll bring the mulled wine!x

Joanna said...

I have so much to catch up on everybodies blogs, Your fire place looks wonderful. I wish I could display nice things above my woodburner and have contemplating having a shelf.

bj said...

OMGosh, this is a lovely fireplace and the mantel is to die for. I can't believe you even THOUGHT of taking it out! It looks so pretty with your family pictures and I am anxious to see it at Christmas!
bj

Alchamillamolly said...

Michele your fireplace is gorgeous and its different! What a talking point in the room - it looks fabulous. I wndered where Carol had been I shall go there now