Monday 7 March 2011

A Jumbled Affair


Well.. the first V & H Jumble Sale turned out to be a very civilised affair, certainly not the battle ground remembered from jumble sales of old. It was a wonderful day from start to finish with a respectable kick off time of 11.00 a.m, giving some of our ladies a more reasonable start to the day.. especially as some had travelled many miles to Rangeworthy Village Hall. Jacquie for instance came all the way from Seven Oaks.. now that is heroic! The sun shone the birds sang.. and the tables groaned under the weight of some fantastic vintage bargains.

A sedate queue formed in the tea room outside as our ladies piled their stalls high with all kinds of temptations and at cheap as chips prices.. who could resist. Jayne and I looked at each other and gave the nod for the doors to open to welcome in the hardened bargain hunters to rummage to their hearts content. It was lovely to see so many familiar faces and friends, some who had come with shopping trolleys.. ever the optimists!

The only moment of the day that looked like it could turn ugly with a bout of arm wrestling, was when Viv and I both clapped eyes on the adorable little toy watering can on Daniella's stall. Viv got to it first .. but seconds later I was the proud owner of the coveted item.. thanks to Viv's generosity.
After a frenzied hour or two .. the crowd dispersed and we got a chance to do our own spot of bargain hunting and catching up with each other.. It was lovely to see some of our V & H ladies also to make acquaintance with some new friends such as Jo from Hesta Nesta .. a lovely lady who will be coming to our Spring fair and Abby from Vintage Tea Time.

The Rangeworthy ladies from the W.I were kept busy providing much needed refreshments to our visitors and by 4.00 p.m we were packed up and swept up.. and the hall suddenly looked very empty.. Who would have guessed that a rumble in the jumble had taken place only hours before.
I happily fell into bed at 8.30 p.m exhausted by the hustle and bustle of the day but already wondering when the next one will be.. and there will be a next one.. so watch this space!

Sorry for the lack of photos from the day.. in usual ditsy mode I forgot my camera.. Should have put it on one of my lists! Lizzie and Niki have some fab photos on their blogs that captured the essence of the day.

19 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Glad you had a good time - it looked great fun.
Julie xxxxxxx

BusyLizzie said...

Lovely watering can! What a fab day we had. Clare has a great pic on facebook which really captures the essence of the day! Lizzie x

Sea Angels said...

Hi Michele
I'm glad you had such a lovely time, Lizzie just left me a comment reminding me that I was at the start of it all with all of you, and I though it would be fabulous to do a Christmas with you all again..is that possible still, may I book something.
Hugs Lynn xx

June said...

I wish that I could have been there but as always when something good is on I have some commitments that I can't get out of - typical! Glad that you had an enjoyable day!
June.

Niki Fretwell said...

Thanks again Michele for organising the opportunity to clear some of my tat! It was very satisfying to have a lot fewer boxes full of stock in my car on my journey back home. :)
Lovely to meet some more Blogging ladies too...a great, fun day!
Niki x

Unknown said...

Sounds very unlike the rough affair I visited on Saturday! Glad you enjoyed it x

carol at home said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time , wish we weren't so far away.

Country Style Living said...

All sounds and looks wonderful, so wished I lived nearer! Glad it all went well....

Country Cottage Chic said...

Glad you have finally recovered enough to write a blog post! It was such an enjoyable day & I for one am looking forward to doing it again.
J
x

Angie - Bumble Bee's Craft Den said...

I missed it!!! The photos on the other blog look fab and I saw lots of lovely things. When is the next one and there any plans to do them in other Bristol locations - Downend perhaps hahahha - now that would be great!!!!

Hesta Nesta said...

What a fantastic day it was!! Andy and I throughly enjoyed it, and such a lovely atmosphere. Please do another. It was lovely to meet you and see you in April.
Jo xx

Anonymous said...

Any chance you could relocate to the Midlands for the next one?!

Vintage Laura xx said...

Oooh, that is something to fight over, it's gorge!! xxx

sarah-jane down the lane said...

So glad the watering can affair was settled amicably!
Sounds like a marvelous day - Jacqui has put me to shame as I live between Sevenoaks and Tunbridge Wells, she is a trouper!

Sarah x

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Hi Michelle
I would have tried to wrestle you from the watering can, I have a collection of them and old metal printed seaside pails as well.
I am so glad that you all had a great day.
T x

★Carol★ said...

I just saw that picture of your watering can on someone's sidebar and had to zoom right over here. I've been reading your blog for the last ten minutes, and it's so lovely that I can't wait to read more!
Happy Day!
Carol

THISNTHAT said...

So pleased to hear it was a success! Wish I could have come along but life's a bit full at the moment .... love the watering can!
Lesley XX

Joshy and belle said...

it sounds like a lovely day and i love the watering can! fliss xxx

Sunny Simple Life said...

That watering can is adorable. Love the bright colors.